Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Does your pet have bad breath?

It seems to be a common problem with our pets, bad breath.  But with a little effort, bad breath does not have to be a problem. The best way to keep your pet's mouth smelling nice and fresh is to brush their teeth. At Aussie Pet Mobile we use a dog-friendly, specially flavored toothpaste.  You can buy dog toothpaste at your local pet store.  If brushing doesn't eliminate the odors, there could be a medical problem. Just like in people, bad breath is a sign of dental disease and requires treatment. Some may believe that pets' mouths naturally clean themselves, but this is not the case. There are some natural enzyme systems in your pets mouth that help, but it will not keep your pet's mouth clean. Debris builds up on the teeth and requires brushing and rubbing.

Cats are also at risk for dental disease and it's not the smelly foods that they are eating that are causing the odor. It is reported that 85% of adult cats have periodontal disease, and that dental disease is the largest single cause of health problems in cats.

Signs your pet maybe suffering from dental disease:

• Bad breath and red gums (healthy gums will be a shrimp pink color)
• Pus oozing from gums
• Facial swelling
• Yellow or brown buildup on teeth
• Pain when eating or chewing

Daily oral hygiene rinses, dental diets and safe chew toys can also help keep your pet's mouth clean, but be sure to call your vet to discuss your pets dental health. Your vet can make recommendations to keep your pet free of periodontal disease.

2 comments:

  1. I believe the main cause of bad breath in dogs comes from the inside, beyond the teeth. Its often a matter of digestion. A dog eating highly processed food such as cheap kibbles and canned foods is more prone to bad breath. My oldest dog is now ten and when I switched to raw and home made food 18 months ago, his bad breath went away. Raw meaty bones are also good for cleaning the teeth.

    Thanks for letting me add my two cents worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have suffered with bad breath for about 9 years now. I spent a small fortune on bad breath cures. Nothing I tried seem to work even as it said it would. I read this site and think it is useful and gives me something to think about. In any case it is always helpful to just to have people writing about it. I did find this site Oraltech Labs & their advice helped me most, I’ve got a boyfriend now so I think it’s working, hope it helps you too. Kindest, Kathy Jones. NJ.

    ReplyDelete